Saturday, June 28, 2014

Importance of dads

James brought the girls down to Salt Lake to stay with me while he stayed with Nicole at Primary Children's. (James and I switch places on Thursday evening through Saturday, but I couldn't go back up to Hyrum with Nicole struggling so much). 

It was good for me to get away for awhile and spend time with the girls.  We took Kersten and her kids with us to the zoo for the day.  It was good to get out and see the sun and spend time with my girls and grandchildren. 

Nicole just needed some daddy time.  She is much calmer and her fever broke.  They still don't know what was causing her fever.  Even with her feeling calmer she is still uncomfortable.  You can see the mucositis in her mouth and lips.  She is still having diarrhea.  Her right eye is red due to bleeding caused by low platelets. Hopefully once her body can start making platelets that will heal.  Between the pain medication and the anti-nausea meds Nicole just spends most of her time sleeping.Her body is just working so hard to engraft. 

We came up to visit her on Friday after the zoo.  It was so nice to see Nicole calm and looking more relaxed.  I know that it was by the power of the priesthood that James holds.  I am so grateful that James is worthy priesthood holder to give all of our children blessings.  It has had me thinking a lot about the priesthood; not just James but also about my priesthood "dad".  My dad didn't hold the priesthood.  I had a wonderful home teacher who was always there for our family and the many times he gave me blessings.  He was my priesthood "dad" as I grew up.  It wasn't just the blessings he gave but the counsel he would give me about priesthood blessings and how they worked.  He never sat me down and gave me long lessons about the priesthood.  He would usually only say a sentence or two about the priesthood blessing work according to your faith. 

I found this quote by President Packer quoting our 6th prophet: "President Joseph F. Smith made this statement about the priesthood in the home: “In the home the presiding authority is always vested in the father, and in all home affairs and family matters there is no other authority paramount. To illustrate this principle, a single incident will perhaps suffice. It sometimes happens that the elders are called in to administer to the members of a family. Among these elders there may be presidents of stakes, apostles, or even members of the first presidency of the Church. It is not proper under these circumstances for the father to stand back and expect the elders to direct the administration of this important ordinance. The father is there. It is his right and it is his duty to preside. He should select the one who is to administer the oil, and the one who is to be mouth in prayer, and he should not feel that because there are present presiding authorities in the Church that he is therefore divested of his rights to direct the administration of that blessing of the gospel in his home. (If the father be absent, the mother should request the presiding authority present to take charge.) The father presides at t'he table, at prayer, and gives general directions relating to his family life whoever may be present.”    (https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2010/04/the-power-of-the-priesthood?lang=eng)


I was blessed to have a wonderful home teacher (and other great men in my home ward) with the priesthood in my childhood.  I am blessed to have a wonderful husband and father who has that power to bless my children.  He presides over our family worthily to "direct the administration of this important ordinance."

 Nicole resting peacefully with her dad:)
 
 
 
Nicole still resting peacefully for me today:)





 

No comments:

Post a Comment