Monday, June 2, 2014

Does the Journey Seem Long?

Nicole will be admitted into PCMC on June 4th starting with chemo before her second transplant on June 17th.  There are a lot of details.  I am not sure how to explain them.  I think as we move forward it will be easier to share what is going on.  Things seem to go there own way and we can't really plan on anything.  Even though Nicole has had a transplant; each road will have it's own bend and bumps in it.  No two journey will ever be the same.  My mind as turned often to the song "Does the Journey Seem Long?" (Hymn #127) I have listened to this song many times over the past two years.  It holds a special place in my heart.  On Sunday we sang "Be Thou Humble"(Hymn 130).  I turned to the page that "Does the Journey Seem Long" was on.  I told James that I have thought "I should blog about this song". I just don't know what to say.  I think it explains my feelings without me needing to add anything.
 
"Elder Smith’s assignments away from home were difficult for Ethel and the children, and the weeks of separation were also painful for him. On April 18, 1924, he was traveling by train to preside at a stake conference. Ethel was seven months pregnant at the time, doing her best to care for the children at home. In a letter to her, he said, “I am thinking of you and wish I could be with you constantly for the next few weeks, to help take care of you.” As he thought of home, he closed the letter with a poem he had written. Some of the words to that poem now appear in many Church hymnbooks under the title “Does the Journey Seem Long?”" (Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Joseph Fielding Smith)
 
Does the journey seem long,
The path rugged and steep?
Are there briars and thorns on the way?
Do sharp stones cut your feet
As you struggle to rise
To the heights thru the heat of the day?
Is your heart faint and sad,
Your soul weary within,
As you toil ’neath your burden of care?
Does the load heavy seem
You are forced now to lift?
Is there no one your burden to share?
Let your heart be not faint
Now the journey’s begun;
There is One who still beckons to you.
So look upward in joy
And take hold of his hand;
He will lead you to heights that are new—
A land holy and pure,
Where all trouble doth end,
And your life shall be free from all sin,
Where no tears shall be shed,
For no sorrows remain.
Take his hand and with him enter in.






Alma 36:3 "And now, O my son Helaman, behold, thou art in thy youth, and therefore, I beseech of thee that thou wilt hear my words and learn of me; for I do know that whosoever shall put their trust in God shall be supported in their trials, and their troubles, and their afflictions, and shall be lifted up at the last day."

 
I just want to add that as we prepare for Nicole Bone Marrow Transplant.  I know that "whosoever shall put their trust in God shall be supported in their trails".  He is mindful of each one of his children.  -In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen
 
 Just a little side note.  I don't know how many of  you will watch the news.  But KSL has done a story about Nicole.  It will air Friday June 6 at 6 P.M.  It will also air for the telethon June 7th, on KSL, about 7:30 P.M. and then our family will have a live interview about 7:40 P.M.

No comments:

Post a Comment