Sunday, June 15, 2014

I Want to See You be Brave


"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."  (John 15:13).  The Savior demonstrated His infinite love for each of us though His atoning sacrifice.  I have pondered on this statement by Christ, and I believe that if I were put to the test, I am willing lay down my life for my wife or for each of my seven children.  Certainly I am willing to endure a week of misery for Nicole.
I do not like shots, and I definitely do not like giving myself shots.  The first day (Thursday) I did one Neupogen shot in each thigh.  Since then, for the past three days I've done them in the abdomen, one shot on each side, mostly because it is easier for me to relax my abdomen than my thighs.  (I was originally going to name this post "Gut-shot" but that really isn't the focus of the post.)  I have to mentally prepare myself to do the shots.  I go through a little ritual where I take some deep breaths and try to relax and then I first picture the Savior in my mind, and then I picture Nicole, and then I do the first shot.  It hurts a little, of course, and I push the syringe very slowly, because it seems to hurt less.  Then I do the same with the second shot.  After four days, this hasn't gotten any easier.  In fact, it might be getting a little harder.

 
 

 
I feel achy and tired, like I'm sick with the flu, and I have a perpetual headache.  My hips and lower back ache in the bone, and sometimes I experience sharp pain and significant discomfort there, especially when I'm sitting down.  I have a hard time falling to sleep, and a hard time staying asleep.  The doctor is willing to prescribe pain medication if I need it, and perhaps I should have gotten some, but I've just been taking Tylenol and Ibuprofen and doing ok with that.  I'm not enjoying myself and don't feel like doing anything, but I can still function.
On the second day (Friday), there was a time when a pain flare went through me like a wave.  It started in my hips and then rapidly proceeded up my torso like a ring of pain, going individually through each of my ribs on both sides of my rib-cage until it reached my collar bone.  It was weird, frightening, and fascinating all at the same time, but it only lasted for a couple seconds and I haven't experienced that same sensation since.
By the end of next week, I should be feeling just fine.  Nicole is the truly brave one, not me, and she still has a long, long journey ahead.  I believe that I am a better person because of each of my children, but I think Nicole is teaching me, her mother, and each of her siblings about true courage in the face of adversity.  I pray that God will strengthen her to go the distance, whatever the end may be.


No comments:

Post a Comment