Monday, August 11, 2014

Friendship

Nicole had another clinic visit today. (8-11-2014)  As we walked in to the hospital a feeling of such love and security encircled me.  As we were heading toward the elevator to go to clinic we ran into one of the ICS nurses.  She stopped and visited and gave little Nicole a warm hug.  As we entered clinic there was a comforting feeling of familiarity as we waited to go back for Nicole vitals.  The tech that was there today has such a sweet spirit, plus her tender husband is one of the nurses that has taken care of Nicole since she was a tiny baby.  As Nicole was getting her vitals we had another great visit from one of her neighbors while we were inpatient, Luke and his parents heard Nicole and came to say Hi.  (This is a common experience when we go to clinic. We always find a friend to brighten our day) One of the joys of the journey are the people I have meet. Each has a special place in my heart and how grateful I am the friendship continues on the other side of the veil.

I am also forever grateful for my childhood friends. They have helped build my foundation that I have needed to go on this journey.  I am grateful for so many people whose "friendship never failed".  They are too many to name and I hope they know who they are and that I am grateful for them.

Elder Marlin K. Jensen said, "The Prophet Joseph Smith taught that “friendship is one of the grand fundamental principles of ‘Mormonism.’”    That thought ought to inspire and motivate all of us because I feel that friendship is a fundamental need of our world. I think in all of us there is a profound longing for friendship, a deep yearning for the satisfaction and security that close and lasting relationships can give. Perhaps one reason the scriptures make little specific mention of the principle of friendship is because it should be manifest quite naturally as we live the gospel. In fact, if the consummate Christian attribute of charity has a first cousin, it is friendship. To paraphrase the Apostle Paul slightly, friendship “suffereth long, and is kind; [friendship] envieth not; … seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil; … [friendship] never faileth.”  (https://www.lds.org/general-conference/1999/04/friendship-a-gospel-principle)

Of course there is my Eternal friend, James.  He has been my rock and confidant.  I know that I can trust him with my heart.  "In a poignant letter written by the Prophet Joseph Smith to his wife, Emma, during the separations and tribulations of Missouri, he comforted her by saying, “Oh my affectionate Emma, I want you to remember that I am a true and faithful friend, to you and the children, forever.” "(https://www.lds.org/general-conference/1999/04/friendship-a-gospel-principle)  It is hard to be to be separated as a family. I know that I am in James' constant thoughts and prayers. 

Nicole's clinic visit today was to check on her platelet counts.  Her platelets are at 16.  As you remember they need to be at 15 before they will do a transfusion.  They decided to cancel Nicole LP's for now (remember LP's are when Nicole will receive chemotherapy into her spine).  I don't know how long they will postpone this part of the treatment, all I know is they want her blood counts to improve on their own before they give her more chemotherapy.   Nothing is ever set in stone until it's over😉




No comments:

Post a Comment