Saturday, August 30, 2014

Foundations

Nicole and I spend a lot of time driving.  It gives us a way to get out of the house and do something.  She sits in her car seat and sings to the music. We may drive to the Great Salt Lake, or out to the east bench of Salt Lake.  We go as far south as the point of the mountain and as far north as Layton. Most of the time I drive through the back roads.  Being back in the area where I grew up brings back many memories.  I miss a few of my favorite things, like Scotts (It had the best turkey sandwiches), and the rocket ship at nearby park, and my old high school - it was torn down to build a huge new high school. 

This is the place where my foundation was built.  As I drive I think a lot about my childhood and the people who helped build my foundation.  When I think about the priesthood I think of my priesthood dad.  I honestly don't know if I could think of a better role model.  (When his son came to give me a blessing I could see his dad through his eyes.)  Then his wife; she has been an example of motherhood that I try to emulate.  I think of Mom Tuck and Craig (her son).  Mom Tuck always had faith that I would make it.  She taught me to trust in miracles and to have my eye on the temple.  Craig taught me to face challenges with a smile and to endure to the end.  The Failner family taught me to enjoy life.  To enjoy being married.  The Stanleys taught me to always have my door open and to laugh.  There was always laughter in their home.  The Brixeys also taught me to have an open door and a couch to sit on.  I miss their couch.  I loved going over after school and just sharing my day with Cleo.  Each of these homes were centered around the Savior. 

I often use this analogy of the church organization:  Primary is where we build the child's foundation.  In young men and young women we are adding walls and decorating their home.  Relief Society and the Priesthood are maintenance workers who fix leaky pips and holes in the wall.  So the foundation had better be solid.

My foundation isn't perfect; it does have a lot of cracks in it.  I am grateful for loving visiting teachers and friends who help fill in the gap.  I am grateful for my sisters and brother who are always there.  I am grateful for a husband who loves me despite my "cracks" and for my children who help lift me.

I know this blog is about Nicole and her journey, but it is also for Nicole.  I want her to know more than just the facts of what she's been through; I want her to know about lessons that have been taught and learned.  I do keep a personal journal for her that has some of my most personal feelings and explains them in more depth then I can on a blog, but the blog also helps to put things into context and tie them together into a timeline.


2 comments:

  1. As I've said before, we are all better people for having you Petersens in our life. Nicole looks great! So, so sweet. So happy to hear that you are getting out and about. Love you guys, The Leonhardts

    ReplyDelete