Friday, September 12, 2014

When saw ye a stranger

Nicole was suppose to have clinic yesterday (9-11-14) but they moved us to today (9-12-14). The reason for the change was they decided to increase her cyclosporine on Tuesday (9-9-14).  They wanted her to have a full 48 hours with the increase before they checked her cyclosporine level again.

Nicole is such a pro!  She walks into clinic and goes right where they do her vitals.  She didn't want me to go with her; so, I waited in the waiting room.  When she was finished with her vitals we went back into her room for her labs to be drawn.  Her doctor came in to check on her while we waited for lab results and he was pleased with how much her GVHD rash has cleared.  Even with the improvement of her rash they are still going to increase her cyclosporine again this week.  Cyclosporine is an anti-rejection drug, and it is also what helped Nicole hair grow so fast with her first transplant, and we are starting to see her hair grow rapidly again this time.

Labs came back and Nicole platelets where at 7k.  They are concerned about her platelet level.  Today they also added an IVIG transfusion to build her immunity to hopefully help the platelets to hold their own.  After they gave her the IVIG she then had her platelet transfusion. We will see if the IVIG will help with the platelets.  If not then the doctor said there are other things they can try.

One of Nicole's big obstacles is learning to eat.  When Nicole was first diagnosed with Leukemia she had a feeding tube for around 15 months.  This was a result of the chemotherapy and mucositis - she had terrible sores in her mouth during treatment, but even after that was done, eating was something she could control in her world where everything was out of her control.  When she relapsed we were hoping that she wouldn't need a feeding tube until she went to transplant.  However after a week of being in the hospital she had stopped eating and they placed a feeding tube back in.  Here we are 7 months later and she still needs her feeding tube. 

Each week the young men bring us sacrament.  Over time I have watched Nicole go from just looking at the sacrament plate, to touching the bread, to smelling the bread, to licking the bread, to putting the bread into her mouth and then giving it back to me, and now, finally to eating the bread.  How grateful I am for the consistency of the young men honoring their priesthood.  I have thought often of the scripture in Mathew 25:35-40   "For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me."

I am not listed on the records of my sister's ward.  They have no priesthood "duty" over me and Nicole.  And yet they come an bring us this vital ordinance.  In Helaman 15:13 we are taught that we are "numbered among his sheep.".  And again we are taught in Moroni 6:4 "And after they had been received unto baptism, and were wrought upon and cleansed by the power of the Holy Ghost, they were numbered among the people of the church of Christ; and their names were taken, that they might be remembered and nourished by the good word of God, to keep them in the right way, to keep them continually watchful unto prayer, relying alone upon the merits of Christ, who was the author and the finisher of their faith."  How grateful I am that I am numbered "of the church of Christ".  He wants us each week to renew our convents with him.

For me personally, the sacrament gives me the strength to move forward each week with the burdens our family is carrying at this time.  The sacrament being brought into my sister home each week is a reminder of my Savior;'s love for me.  Through this ordinance, especially in our current circumstances, I feel that he has "remembered" me and that I can "remember" Him!

One of my favorite Primary songs about the Sacrament.
https://www.lds.org/music/library/childrens-songbook/the-sacrament?lang=eng

Just hanging out in clinic.

A cute picture Kersten took.
 

2 comments: